Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm in Ayacucho!

2.8.2010 (date above is wrong)

After what seemed like forever (and was in fact over 30 hours of traveling), I finally arrived in Ayacucho! The city is beautiful, and the “home-base” is great. I have two roommates, both girls that arrived here the same time as I did, and they’re awesome (as are the rest of the volunteers). We spent the first day just settling in, and got a little tour of the city from volunteers that have been here for a while already. Today we did our orientation, and got a tour of the rest of the city. The orientation was an eye opening insight into the economy of Peru: They are number one in the world in the exporting of Cocaine, producing 600 tons per year, all sent to Europe. The program director assured us that this was (in the short term) a good thing, as it basically funds the whole economy, and keeps more than half the population out of poverty. He also assured us that Ayacucho is perfectly safe, and while many of the people here do make money through the drug trade, there has never been violence or crime here as a result. (Mom and Dad, I promise I’m safe.)

The local crafts here are AMAZING. It’s all bright, colorful, embroidered/woven stuff made with alpaca wool, and walking around the city I’ve seen so many women dressed traditionally, hats, braids, skirts and all. Pictures soon to come!

I start working tomorrow; I’ll be at Los Licenciados Health Clinic. Doing what I’m not really sure, but I guess I’ll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment